Sunday, January 18, 2009

Good Food

All right. I'll bite. I was catching up on my reading of Jim Long's blog (scroll down on the right to see blogs I visit) and now he's made me hungry for beer bread. And it's not the Super Bowl yet! LOL I printed out his recipe and had to find mine to compare. His recipe is definitely better. My recipe is your basic 3 cups of self-rising flour, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1 can of your beer of choice, all mixed together and baked in a greased bowl for 50-60 minutes at 350F till done. I like to bake the bread in a bowl because I carefully hollow out the bread leaving a crusty shell that I fill with melted sharp cheddar cheese to which I've added a pound (or two) of bacon bits. The removed bread is cut into bite size pieces. Then I put the cheese bowl in the center of a larger round platter and place the bite size pieces around it as finger food. Jim's bread recipe is heartier and more filling. I don't have a lot of herbs in my herb garden yet so I think that for now I would switch the wheat flour for rye and toss a tablespoon of caraway seed in the batter, then continue as with my usual recipe and the bacon-cheddar filling. A nice hot pepper-Monterey Jack might work with that, too. Hmmm. . . . Super Bowl . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment