Friday, May 25, 2007

Happy Anniversary and the Work Goes On




Tom and I had our 32nd anniversary on the 24th. I can't believe it's been 32 years; seems like yesterday. We didn't do anything special. I mean, after 32 years what do you need to do? I like to think of us as being like Tevye and his wife in Fiddler on a Roof. You just grow old together. It isn't necessary for razzle dazzle. We are just comfortable being together: hogging blankets, snoring, toothpaste splatter all over the bathroom mirror and whatever.

Between Tom's garden and mine, we planted about 600 feet of potatoes. Tom planted Kennebec and Red Norland, and I planted Irish Cobbler and Katahdin. We had a good rain so the spuds are off to a great start. The peas and oats and wheat are coming up now, too. Thank goodness!

Today I hoed the greenhouse and watered everything. I counted the remaining tomatoes and still have 87! I sure didn't think I had that many (and I have 100 more started in the basement). We are supposed to have a hard frost tonight and the next few nights are supposed to be cold, so I added a layer of Agribon over the more tender plants. If it is cloudy tomorrow, I'll put the cabbages and lettuces out in the field.

Eddy and I mowed the field again this afternoon. It only took us about 4 hours. Eddy was funny. He was making all sorts of noise and was very proud of himself going back and forth. It was nice to have his help. I sure am sore and tired. I will give us each a dose of Arnica.

We rented a couple of good movies the other day. Apocolypto, Pan's Labyrinth, and Letters from Iwo Jima. They are all very good. Pan's Labyrinth was NOTHING like what I expected, but what a good story! And Letters from Iwo Jima was SO much better than Flags of Our Fathers. Apocolypto was very different; I almost wish there was another movie that went into the culture more. I really liked it. It reminded me a bit of the old Henry Fonda movie Drums Along the Mohawk where he runs for help followed by three Indian warriors. Well, there's a movie on tonight called Renegade that I want to see, so I'll cut this short tonight.

The moon is going into Scorpio so get out there and plant your gardens!

No comments:

Post a Comment