Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Working Hard

Yesterday I dug, sifted, and hauled to the first garden box 20 wheelbarrows full of dirt that I dug up from behind the blackberries' trellis. Believe me, I went to bed early last night! This morning I planted my garlics (Shvlisi, Inchelium Red, Samarkand, and Czech Tan), potato onions, and golden shallots in the box. And now that planting is off my mind for a while, if the weather cooperates tomorrow, I'll be able to get out to the field and work on restringing the fence wire.

While I was planting the garlic, I thought I heard someone in the woods, so I put on my bright colored sweater, grabbed my camera and machete, called the dog and headed into the woods to check things out: companies are buying balsam boughs now and Tom has chased people out of the woods that were stealing them. I don't take kindly to trespassers or thieves. Well, we walked around quite a bit but didn't see anyone, so I took a few pictures, went out to the high tunnel and brought back to the house four Charentais melons that smelled heavenly (and tasted just as good as they smelled).

Guess what I found and took a picture of!



That's right -- that pesky little squatter beaver's dam. He did a pretty good job, too. Now so long as his dam doesn't cause any flooding I'll leave him alone!

The photo upload for Blogger seems to be acting up so I'll try to post a few more pics later.

No comments:

Post a Comment