Friday, September 30, 2011

Blue Hubbard Squash

I get asked alot about what to do with this beautiful squash --



Well, you can cook it like you do any other winter squash.  Don't let the size of this squash put you off from buying one.  

First I cut it in half, piercing the rind in a rib line with a sharp knife.  I don't try to cut the squash through; just cut each side at a time. 


See how big the hollow is in this half?  Take out the seeds and set them aside to clean and dry for your next year's planting! Then lightly grease a baking sheet and put one half on it.  I have to cook each half separately because both halves won't fit in my oven at the same time.  I usually place it cut side down first and bake it in a 350°F oven for 30 minutes before turning it over and cooking it another 30 minutes.  Depending on how big the squash is and what you want to do with it, it takes between 45 minutes and an hour to bake.  For me, it is done when you can easily pierce the meaty side of the squash with a fork.




I then scrape the meat out of the squash and mash it with a little butter.  We like to drizzle maple syrup over it.  This half squash fed my hungry family of four.  I'm going to use the other half to make this Maple Squash Pie recipe. 

Blue Hubbard squash tastes great and keeps well.  Don't be afraid to try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment