Thursday, August 12, 2010

Good and Bad

The good news is that Lara's doctor appointment went well.  The bad news is that her blood sugar is high.  Being her father's daughter, Lara obsessed with diet restrictions for the whole three hour drive back home.  I had quite the headache! When we see Dr. Arguello at the end of this month, the doctor will probably recheck Lara's blood sugar.  Until then, Lara is unhappily relegated to eating oatmeal with cinnamon for breakfast; she's not a happy camper.

The fun part of the day was when we looked for a store that I heard about and have been wanting to visit.  The store is called Beaver Creek and it sells food in bulk.  It took a bit longer to get to than I thought it would, but now that I've been there, I want to go again!  The store is at 6428 Iron Bridge Road, Athens, WI 54411.  It is a Mennonite store and the whole area must be Mennonites because as I drove down the roads I saw cows and horses in the lush fields of beautiful farms, women driving horse drawn carriages, and on-farm market stands all over managed by women in Mennonite dress.  They are different from the Amish people I've seen; I think they are not as strict, and I saw men driving trucks and one woman at a farmstand using a cell phone.  It was a most unusual area.  I felt like I was visiting a treasure in some hidden valley.  The store is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m., and Saturday from 8:30 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.  Be sure to take cash since they don't take credit cards or non-local checks.  Having Lara with me was a bit cumbersome because I had a hard time maneuvering the wheelchair and a shopping cart so I really would like to go back without Lara and take a longer look at everything they offer.  Since I am a "from scratch" cook, they had everything I could possibly want and use.  This store is a real find!

The other good news is that Special Olympics bowling went well.  Only Lara, Ed and Chris were there, but we had a good time.  The bad news is that Feits' is going to close the bowling alley part of the establishment because it is costing them more to keep it than they receive in return.  After 60 years of operating, Feit's is another victim of the crashing economy.  How sad!  If you go into Feit's you see pictures of the owner's father and various memorabilia on the walls.  It just breaks my heart.  I hope some part of the establishment can stay open.  Maybe they can keep the bar and put a small dining area where the bowling alley is.  The town could use a good place to eat, and Feit's is close enough to the paper mill to take advantage of employee shift changes there.  Times are what they are.  I most sincerely thank Feit's for letting our group of Special Olympians bowl there.  I have to contact Tony, our Agency manager and let him know.  I think we will need to have a dinner meeting with all the agency members to decide how we want to move forward.

When I went out to shut up the chickens I thought I heard wolf pups yipping on the south forty.  Didn't quite sound like coyotes. 

More storms are expected tomorrow.  I hope I can get out in the field at some point to see if I have anything to harvest.  Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment