Monday, August 30, 2010

Farmers Market

We made it to the Farmers Market on Saturday and was it ever nice to be there!  It was so good to say hi to all of the vendors.  We even met new vendors, Mike and Peggy.  It's great to welcome new people to our market.  Diane, our market manager, tries so hard to attract new vendors.  Lara had a good time.  I kept her under our new market canopy, but even so, she still got a little sunburned.  We didn't have much to sell:  potatoes, onions, garlic, sweet corn from Tom's garden, a little dill, three small red cabbages, some green beans and about a pound of peas.  I sold all of the sweet corn, beans, and peas; most of the dill; one red cabbage; and a little of the rest.  I didn't see many of the usual customers, and there wasn't one single FMNP or WIC customer. 

Lara

Our Farmers Market Stand


A Day at the Phillips Farmers Market

I took a nap when we got home.  Going to market is a lot of work!

Today I worked in the back yard and the garden boxes.  I transplanted all of the fruit trees I planted earlier this year into the garden boxes to protect them from the loggers.  I'll give them new permanent homes next spring.  Then I thinned the carrots and pulled the peas.  The beans are still producing so I'll give them a little more time before turning them under.  I ate the sole blackberry I found and it was delicious!  I am debating transplanting the grape vines into a garden box for the winter.  And, I will transplant the red and black currants, and take down as much of the forest garden fence as I'm able to get too.  Some of that fence is crushed under downed trees.  The loggers sound like they are making getting close to our property and I want to get as many plants protected as I can before they get here.  That also means I have to get busy and build a gate for the chicken run.  There's no telling how the chickens will react when the loggers get here.

I got the new Hancocks of Paducah catalog today.  I drool over these fabrics!  Sarah told me I should sew pillow cases and sell them.  That's a pretty good idea!  I thought the handkerchiefs were a good idea, and pillow cases are quite useful, too.  Looks like my winter crafting schedule is filling up.  It's a short step from pillow cases to grocery tote bags.  I have a pattern for a quilt that folds up into a pillow that I've been wanting to make for a long time, too. . . .

Boy, I tell you it is suddenly Fall outside.  I woke up the other night to the sound of the wind rustling the tree leaves and I recognized the end of summer.  Sure enough, the leaves are changing color rapidly.  We miraculously made it through August without a hard frost, but I wonder how much longer our garden luck will hold out.  Most of the birds have already flown South.  It's actually kind of eerie not hearing any birds; the woods are so quiet (except for the loggers).  That reminds me, I meant to tell you about how ill I felt before the tornado.  I was super dizzy and there was so much pain in my bones for days before the storm hit that I could hardly stand it.  I even remarked on it on a web site I frequent.  Then, I remember watching the trees snap as the storm hit and thinking the sound was like bones breaking.  And when the storm passed, my dizziness and bone pain was gone.    I felt the same way before the earthquakes in Haiti and Chile.  Makes me wonder if I'm an "earth sensitive", if you want to call it that. 

Have you noticed how clear the skies are lately?  No chemtrails here for a while now.  It's actually taking me a while to get used to seeing the sun shine regularly in a blue sky.  Maybe the bad economy is finally affecting whoever is responsible for making the chemtrails.  Well, they can run but they can't hide is all I have to say.

Tomorrow I'll go out to the field and see how the Indian corn is coming along. 

Talk to you soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment