Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Announcing

Finally, the computer is not acting so badly and I can actually get a blog post up!  The Internet has been horrible lately.

Ta Da! To paraphrase Professor Higgins in the movie My Fair Lady, "I did it. I did it. I knew that I could do it, and, indeed, I did!"  I am now W9SCF/AG. (At least until I show up in the government database.)  Yep.  I drove down to Wisconsin Rapids during a short break in the snowy weather this past Saturday, and I passed the upgrade exam to obtain my General class ham license.  I was ecstatic!  There were three guys beside me taking tests.  I also took the Amateur Extra exam and although I did not pass it, I did get 22 questions correct, and the examiner told me that I know more than I think I do.  All of the examiners gave me some tips for studying for the Amateur Extra exam.  I was feeling great!  I didn't even mind the 3 1/2 hour horrible drive home (the snow had started up again and the roads were re-freezing).  

When I got home I tore the house apart looking for my Gordon West Extra class book to start studying again.  I'm currently reading the Emergency Power for Radio Communications book to figure out what off grid power system I want to build and how long it's going to take me to squirrel away the money for it.  When I finish reading that, I'm going to try taking some of the free FEMA courses, too.  Those should take about 3-4 hours each to finish, so I think if I dedicate one full week to those classes I should complete them all.  It would be nice to get into some sort of public service. 

With all the snowing and blowing and absolutely frigid temperatures, it is nice to sit inside and dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment