Saturday, May 17, 2008

May 17, 2008

Today is a lovely day. The sky is oh so blue and the clouds are fluffy with hints of gray. The wind is rather strong and the clouds move quickly across the sky, but together with the emerging green of the grasses and budding trees, it is altogether a healing sight.

I gave up trying to load Sarah's graduation video. All I can figure is that the dial-up connection I have takes too long to load as the MB and Quicktime format is certainly within proper parameters. Oh well. When I feel more like messing around with it I'll try loading it somewhere else and putting a link to its location on this blog. Our girl is now somewhere with the Army's 783rd. Most of her "stuff" is (of course) back with us or scattered hither and yon with her cousins.

The dandelions are blooming so it's time to plant corn and potatoes. The cold weather belies that adage, but I'm going to try and get out today to get at least the cool weather crops in the ground. It's only been a couple of days that I've seen guys out with their tractors because it's been so cold and wet. The County must have lifted the road restrictions because yesterday I saw my first logging trucks.

Did I tell you I managed to get all the witch hazel, elderberries and hickory nut trees planted? I am waiting for the trillium to show their heads so I know where to put the golden seal and astragalus plants. I figure that all I need to do is one task a day and by the end of the season, I will have accomplished a lot. One step at a time.

I get very tired, but I think it is all the worry about Tom and taking care of Lara and Ed. I miss my chickens and I want to get out in the field but the in-the-house tasks won't let me. I try not to let it bother me; I know that everything happens for a reason and I've learned it doesn't pay to push things. I try to get as much sleep as I can because I seem to be able to get more done if I am well rested. My best time for working in the field is between noon and 3:00 p.m. Otherwise, I can do things close to the house. I'm glad I moved most of the berries by the house.

Mary is stopping by today with the cavalier's plates. I baked a couple of cherry pies this morning so I have something to offer with a cup of coffee. Johnny picked up Sarah's car and I am sure he is off and running with it. It was a cute car for a kid. I am sure Sarah will buy something more satisfying when she comes home.

Just a note that the Phillips Farmers Market is opening next Saturday, May 24th, and runs from 9 until noon. I don't know if there will be any vendors though because I don't know anyone who has been able to plant anything yet because of the cold. If you are looking for something, best to call the vendor ahead of time and see if they have anything yet.

Well, time to check on the laundry. Talk to you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment