Monday, August 25, 2008

Froze This Morning

It was foggy again and the temperature this morning was a cold 32F at 06:20h. I felt like starting a fire! And boy was I glad I had covered everything. Everything in the garden boxes looks great. I couldn't check the high tunnel tomatoes today because I had to take the kids to the dentist up in Hurley, and right after we got home, Tom took Ed into town for Special Olympics bowling while I stayed with Lara, but I will check on the high tunnel tomorrow for sure.

I did pull the onions yesterday and this morning I bundled them up and will hang them from the rafters in the garage to cure. They didn't bulb up as well as they did last year, but they are a great size for pickling or using in stews. Some times I think that smaller sizes are better than big as they seem to serve more purposes and there is less waste. I love the golden papers that form on onions as they cure, and I love the way they smell. All in all, I think the onions were a successful crop this year. The Farmers Almanac says to dig the potatos on September 4, so that's when I will dig them. After that I will till all the sections under and get some rye seed to plant for a cover crop.

There is still a lot of work to do, and I don't know how much of it I will get to, but I will do my best. Certainly, cleaning out the chicken coop is a priority, as is fixing the corner post on the field fence before the ground freezes. And I must finish digging the holes for the trees that are coming. Those three tasks must be done. Secondly, I want to build a wood shed. I am sorely tempted to just go and buy a small storage shed to move my "stuff" into so Tom has more room to work at whatever he wants to do. And I would like to put up a simple overhang and set up my fire ring and grill for making maple syrup. Last year there was so much snow I couldn't set up my rig and had to boil the sap down in the house; I'm glad I have a good exhaust fan. Well, the new moon is on the 30th, so I think I will have a LONG wish list!

No comments:

Post a Comment