Sunday, September 07, 2014

Crafts and Such

I wanted to post a picture of the gansey style sweater I made.  I think it turned out pretty good for a first try.  It fits great and I almost can't wait for the colder weather to come so I can wear it.



I am almost finished with second pair of socks for Lara, and my latest project is an everyday sweater for me (I'm always cold) that is a darker grey color and embroidered in duplicate stitch with a lighter, more silvery grey color.  I dug out my Tolkien books and wrote out a phrase in Elven runes, then searched for a couple of patterns for oak leaves and acorns that I will use for the embroidery.  So far I love the way it is turning out.  Stay tuned for a picture when I'm finished. If I have enough yarn left over I'll make a matching hat or cowl and fingerless gloves.

My grandnieces and nephews came by the other day and I promised we would do some crafting together when they come by again around Thanksgiving.  I think I will make some homemade soap and let them each remill a bar to take home.  Maybe we can make some lip balm or hand cream, too. Even boys can use lip protector and skin cream, especially in winter! That should be a fun get together. They brought me a grocery bag full of apples they picked from one of the trees on my sister and brother-in-law's farm.  I made Tom a couple of no sugar pies with some of them and boy did he like them! The apples are not quite ripe yet, but they sure made good pies. They were snarfed up so quick I didn't get a picture of them.

Cousin It is planning to visit at the end of this month.  If the weather is nice, perhaps together we can run up to Bayfield to get my yearly apples and apple wine.  Since she is starting to can food, she might like to take a bushel back home.  That would be fun.

While I was off my feet, I enjoyed bird watching through the window.  We had blue indigo buntings, our feisty hummingbirds, Northern Orioles -- a new bird for us, and lots of finches.  We even had some pine siskins and rosebreasted grosbeaks.




There was a gun show up at Butternut Park yesterday so Tom and I decided to go.  We have been to archery shows, car shows, and fishing shows, but never a gun show.  We did not know what to expect.  It wasn't much.  We thought the prices were way too high on most things.  I did buy a bag of shell casings to use as pegs when I make a cap rack for Tom and Ed.  I got the idea from a craft booth I saw at the Mercer Loon Day festival where the crafter used shotgun shell casings as pegs.  Nifty idea. There were some people selling household items at different booths and I picked up a beautiful stainless steel pan with handles for only $15.  It had a smashed snake petrified on it that needed to removed, but otherwise it was fine.  The first image that came into my mind when I saw the pan was of someone making cheese in it.  I don't know what the original use of the pan was, but I'm sure it was connected somehow with dairy.  I also picked up a nice old galvanized steel pail.  I like the old steel items because they simply last longer than the plastic garbage you find in most places today. All in all, it was a nice outing.

Well, chores call me, so I'll talk to you later.  Be well and Be safe!


No comments:

Post a Comment