Friday, December 09, 2011

Building a Warping Board

I finally got down into the basement and started building my warping board.  A warping board is a tool that will help me measure the warp threads needed to string on my floor loom for whatever project I decide to work on.  I think prices for warping boards are outrageous.  Mine cost less than $25.  Here's how I made it.

Materials

2, 8' pieces of  1" x 2" lumber
4, 4' lengths of 5/8" dowel rods
a handful of  thin nails
wood glue
hand tools


First I downloaded some instructions from the Internet.  I didn't follow this plan, but I needed to know how far apart to place the pegs and this plan had those measurements.

I cut 4 pieces out of the 1" x 2" lumber to build the frame.  Two pieces were 4' long, and two pieces were 3' long.  I laid the 3' long pieces on top of the 4' long pieces and nailed them together at the top and bottom of the 4' long pieces. 


Then with a pencil and ruler I marked the dowel rods into 6 3/4" pieces and cut them to size with a coping saw.

On the frame I measured and marked where the pegs would be placed, and I used a hand drill fitted with a 5/8" wood bit (sized to fit the 5/8" dowel pieces) to drill down ALMOST BUT NOT QUITE THROUGH the frame at those marked locations.  The dowel rod pieces will fit snugly in these seatings.






Next, I exchanged the 5/8" wood bit for a finer bit and drilled holes all the way through the center of each dowel seating.  I then flipped the frame over and nailed roofing nails through those holes and then turned the frame back over again.

I used a gimlet (purchased at Garrett Wade) to make a starter hole in one end of each dowel rod. I put some good glue in each seating and on the end of each dowel piece, then tapped each dowel lightly with a hammer, hole side down on top of the nails that were just nailed through the centers of each seating. As you can see, I had enough room on the frame to add a few more pegs so I bought another dowel rod and will do just that.  After the glue is dry and the pegs are as firm as I expect them to be, I will use some fine sandpaper to make the board all smooth.  Maybe I'll stain it if I can find some stain laying around.  I plan to hang this board somewhere on the wall in the basement.



Anyway, that's it. I'm proud of this warping board. One more "To Do" task completed. Now for deciding on a project and working the math to figure out how much warp and weft I'll need!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:02 PM

    Thanks, This was most helpful. Linda in CT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi...thanks for this nice clear explanation.....can you tell me how long a warp you can wind on this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kaela (what a beautiful name!): If I wind the pegs all the way down, I get about 20 yards. I wanted a BIG warp board because I like to sew and am interested in weaving fabric for making clothing. 20 yards of doubleweave cloth will give me a full bolt of fabric. I haven't actually tried doing this yet, but that is my goal.

      Delete