Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The Greatness of the Small

Today America lost a great soul -- Eunice Kennedy Shriver, the founder of Special Olympics, died. As a mom of special needs children and having participated in Special Olympics with first my brother, Frank, when Special Olympics first started, and now, my own children, I am keenly aware of the great blessings bestowed on all involved with Special Olympics. I have seen first-hand the priceless smiles of athletes lighting up their faces from pride in their Special Olympics' accomplishments -- "See what I CAN do!" I've seen terrific high school kids volunteering to "keep an eye on" athletes at regional Special Olympics meets loving every minute of their experience, oftentimes in very inclement weather. And now, as a Special Olympics volunteer and part of a new Special Olympics Chapter, I just cannot tell you how my own soul rejoices knowing I am part of an organization that openly declares Eunice Shriver's belief that every life has value. Great things come from the preponderance of the small. Thank you, Eunice. Because you loved your sister and started Special Olympics, the world is a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment