Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Garden Boxes and First Farmers Market



Last Saturday Lara wanted to go with me to the farmers market. I was so happy she finally decided to go with me. There are some new vendors there, which really made me happy. I think our little market is going to survive! We didn't have much to sell. We had the St. Valery carrots, Wong Bok Chinese cabbage, some basil, spearmint, and parsley. Certainly not much, but we did sell all of the carrots and some cabbage. Actually, I was glad to take so much of the cabbage home because I shredded some in a salad for Lara and I for lunch, and I canned the rest using the American Canner I bought for $10 at an estate sale. I had been itching to use the canner to see how it worked, and boy, those American Canners are really #1. I had just enough cabbage for one freezer bag of leaves to use this winter in cabbage rolls, and 7 quart jars (a canner load). It smelled so good that even Tom came in from cutting the grass to ask what I had. The herbs that weren't sold I put in the dehydrator.

The heat has finally arrived and it has been very humid. Although we have had more rain this year than any of the last three years, it is still very dry. The berries here are just coming on.

Yesterday and today I worked on building the new raised bed boxes in the back yard. I thought the bugs were going to eat me alive, and even with my long-sleeved shirt and 50 SPF field hat, I still got sun burned. I took frequent breaks for water and to rest; I just don't do very well when it's hot. Anyway, I've posted some pics of Lara at the farmers market and the garden boxes. I finished the boxes after supper tonight and watered them down well. I will plant lettuce, carrots, beets, and maybe some spinach, if I have any left. Next month I will work on building tops for the beds of 1" x 4" boards and pvc pipes that I can cover with 4 mil plastic and agribon. The beds are 5' x 20' so there is a total of 300 sq. ft. to plant. With water nearby I should finally be able to grow more veggies for market. We'll just have to see how it works out.

That's about it for now. Stay safe and cool!

I had wanted to clean out the bedding from the chicken coop and mix that in the beds, but guess what -- there is a freaking rattlesnake in the the coop! What I saw was about 3' long and I didn't hang around to take a good look at it. I saw gray/tan skin with black diamonds and that was all I needed to see. I left the door open and hope the thing will go back down into the marsh.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:47 PM

    For us when we visit some blog site our main objective is to ensure that we will be entertained with this blog.

    ReplyDelete