Saturday, October 30, 2010

Howl With The Wind

Well, I have to admit that my first experience with a land hurricane was nerve wracking.  While being without electricity is not fun, at least the lack of it doesn't bother me as much as it does the rest of my family.  My biggest concern is for the food stored in the freezer and whether it will spoil before the power comes back on.  This time, fortunately, our electricity returned in time so that no food was lost.  

The way the wind howled through the leafless trees was downright eerie.  Maybe I'm still spooked from the tornado back in July, I was sure glad when the wind finally died down. 

What was worse than the storm though, was what happened next:  Tom found our Lara on the floor  in the morning -- we figure she had been on the floor most of the night -- and she had broken her leg.  What a nightmare!  And it's a bad fracture.  The doctor said that if she was ambulatory, she would have to have a metal plate, screws, and pins to put that leg back together.  But because she has spina bifida and is not ambulatory, the treatment and risks are different.  So, the short of it is that I am on skin breakdown watch for the next 6-12 weeks while her leg slowly mends wrapped in an immobilizer brace.  I'm so stressed I can hardly stand it.  Transferring her in and out of her wheelchair for catheterization is absolute hell.  I am giving her homeopathic remedies Rhus Tox and Arnica for the swelling, Ledum for the horrible bruising, Hypericum for pain, and Calc Phos for the fracture.  In about a week I'll drop the Arnica and add Symphytom and perhaps Silica.  Already the bruising is easing and the Rhus has really helped bring down the heat and swelling.  She is still running a fever but that may be due to a urinary tract infection -- we are still waiting on the results of that test. 

I tell you, I cannot wait for October to be over -- you could probably hear me howl with the wind!

3 comments:

  1. So sorry to read about Lara's broken leg incident. Must have been horrible for her on the floor in her condition. Being the mom of a special needs child myself, I can empathize with the stress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think Blogger posted my comment. "Service Unavailable???" Just wanted to say how sorry I am at Lara's accident and your scary storm. I hope the worst of it is over for Lara, and things get back to normal soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:06 AM

    I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete