Thursday, September 09, 2010

Onward the Harvest

Whew!  It's been a busy Labor Day week.  Yesterday I went to the farmers market in Park Falls -- the new one in the little park across from the hospital.  Some of the vendors I know from the Phillips farmers market were there, and it was nice to see them; I was afraid I might feel out of place.  I met a new vendor who just happens to be my neighbor's cousin!  His name was Ryan and his farm is Nelson's Berry Farm.  What a nice guy, and boy, you should have seen his beautiful pumpkins.  (His raspberries were mouth watering, too.)  I sold all the corn, carrots, and dill I brought.  I thought for sure people would buy my Indian corn bundles, but I didn't sell a single one.  Maybe I'll have better luck on Saturday at the Phillips market.  I don't plan to bring Lara because it is supposed to rain and I don't want her to get sick.  Tomorrow I'll go out to the field and see if there are any more pie pumpkins that I can harvest.  I want to gather the rest of the dill and harvest the bulb fennel, too. 

Yesterday the bushel baskets I ordered from Texas Basket Company  arrived.  They are beautiful!  Shipping will kill you and there is a $10.00 fee for orders less than $100, but at least they take small orders.  There's nothing you can do about shipping so I don't even think about it.  All in all, I am pleased with both the product and the service, so if you need some bushel baskets, I give Texas Basket Company a thumbs up.  And what did I do with those bushel baskets?  Well, today we dug the rest of Tom's potatoes -- the Kennebecs.  We got four bushels and the potatoes are really nice.  I'm going to give Dale and Cathy a bushel for giving us the mink manure. 

Speaking of Tom's garden, we clambored over the trees that fell on his squash patch during the tornado and discovered some Buttercup squash that was big enough to harvest.  Tom also found some monster black zucchini, too.  I cut all of the mustard greens he had -- two bushels worth -- and tomorrow morning I'll pick through them.  If I can keep them from wilting, I'll take them to the market on Saturday.  They are beautiful, but I know that mustard greens don't sell well here because they are too hot.  People love horseradish but they won't eat mustard greens.  Hmmmm.  If I can't sell them, I'll can them for us.  I LOVE mustard greens.

The loggers are really making headway and will be making a landing on our south 40 almost directly across from our driveway next week.  They are doing beautiful work.  I've never seen as neat a logging job.  They need to temporarily move our mailbox about 20' so I'll call the Post Office tomorrow to let them know what's happening.  Don't want the USPS to get confused because the mail box isn't where it is supposed to be.

Took Lara for a blood test this morning which turned out OK.   And later I checked on Dad.  He had a long day with the doctors yesterday and was feeling out of sorts today.  He said he could only drink liquids so I brought him over two quarts of my homemade chicken broth and heated some up for him.  I'll give him a call tomorrow and see how he's feeling.

Well, I'm trying to get the laundry done so I'm going to leave off for now.  Talk to you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment