Tuesday, January 12, 2010

As the Snow Falls

Well, today I spent most of the day lost in links on an absolutely great blog:  http://subsistencepatternfoodgarden.blogspot.com/.  If you want to be a modern homesteader and are looking for inspiration and know-how, this is one of those blogs you really need to frequent.  I'm ashamed to admit it but I spent several hours today reading old posts and perusing links just from that blog. 

I did finally manage to check out the other blogs I like to visit.  And then, you know how it goes -- you click on a link that leads to another link, etc. --  and I came across this new video of the futurist Gerald Celente from Trends Research Institute:



Now I like to hear what Gerald has to say even though he sure is bleak.  I also read the newsletter, FUTUREdition,  from The Arlington Institute at http://www.arlingtoninstitute.org/.  (It's free BTW.)  I became interested in future trends after reading a bestselling book called Future Shock by Alvin Toffler quite some years ago about such things.  I like to see if I agree with their prognostications.  Sometimes I do.  Sometimes I don't.  But if you're in the mood to have the hair stand straight on your head, watch this series from Jeff Smith about the health effects of genetically modified foods.  I happen to have bought this book when it was first published and I will tell you that people don't believe me when I tell them some of the things that are in that book.  It's one of those things where you have to see the words in black and white before you'll even consider the possibility of what is being said.  (You'll never eat soy again after you read it.)






On the plus side, I received the Seed Savers seed catalog today and my seed order from Horizon Herbs.  Then our Soldier Girl called.  She will be coming to visit for a few days before leaving for Europe again.  If I didn't know better I'd think that girl was either a Gemini or Virgo with as much as she travels.  She can't sit still.  I suppose I think traveling is odd because (1) I never went anywhere and (2) I never had good luck while traveling so I'd just as soon not, if you know what I mean.  Anyway, I am glad she is able to see the world and is not afraid to travel.  It's a good thing to aquaint yourself with other cultures.  If there was more cultural interaction among people I think the world would be a happier place because people would be better able to work out any differences that might arise among themselves.  Without government interference. 

Getting back to blogs, a couple of the ones I visit have new looks to them.  That's great!  It reminds me that all of us (like the seeds we plant) grow in time and that nothing stays the same.  And speaking of change, I've recently placed a flag counter on this blog.  When I did it I didn't think I would have any visitors from other countries; I just thought the widget looked cool.  But I have been ever so pleasantly surprised!  I get excited each time a new flag shows up.  What I think of when I see the flags is the idea of The Family Human.  We all eat, work, pray, and want to raise our families in peace.  We want to be friends with our neighbors.  All of us have more in common than we think, and any differences should be recognized as cultural, not comparative.  When I was about 15 I bought a coffee mug from a store that had the word "peace" printed on it in languages from all over the world.  I still have it; it's one of my favorite possessions.  When I look at it, I believe that all people of the world can -- and one day will -- live together in peace.  My husband tells me I'm naive.  Perhaps.  But I believe that if you think a thing, you can make that thing real.  So I "think Peace" every day, believe it or not.  And I believe that if all of us "think Peace", we will have it. 

Well, it's late and I'm tired so I'll leave off for now.  Take care and stay warm.

1 comment:

  1. Goodmorning,

    I have passed the Monsanto video along on my own blog--hope thats okay. I really think every single person living on this planet needs to be aware of what this company is all about. It is very scary but we can't bury our heads in the sand anymore hoping that someone else will take care of us. We have to start taking care of ourselves.

    ReplyDelete