Sunday, September 13, 2009

Still Busy As A Beaver

Seems like I've been going non-stop lately trying to do as much as possible while the weather is nice. I've been butchering roosters as fast as I can; I try to do 4 at a time, and that pretty much fills a day for me. Yesterday and today I made sauerkraut with 12 nice heads of cabbage from Tom's garden. I filled both my 5 gallon crocks about 3/4 full. This year I had enough onions to use my own, which was really nice, too. This is going to be a good batch of kraut!

I bartered a used refrigerator from Linda and Bill Dayton for a couple of cut-up chickens and some eggs. We went to pick it up Thursday night. I was so excited to get the frig for storing my eggs. The down side is that the frig won't get cold. It runs, but doesn't get cold. It is a GE with the freezer drawer on the bottom (can't find a model number anywhere on it and it must be old because the cord has only two prongs). I think we may have screwed it up because when we brought it home in the truck we laid it on its side. I am trying to find a manual for it. Bill and Linda said it worked fine for them so I think it is ok; I just have to figure out what the problem is. I hope I can get it working quickly because I sure need that egg storage!

I pulled the onions from the field and have them drying in the garage. The field onions grew to a good size -- much larger than the onions I grew in the garden boxes. The beets and carrots are covered with Agribon, and I cut the radish stalks with seed pods to dry. Still have loads to do in the field!

I finished varnishing the farm signs and hopefully I'll get them put up tomorrow -- if I don't go for apples up in Bayfield. I've got the apple bug and want to get my apples for the year! I'd like to go to Bayfield while the trees are in full color and get some pictures; those hills are simply gorgeous this time of year.

My farmers market canopy broke so I had to order a new one. When I went to the market last week all my produce wilted horribly by the end of the first hour, so I told one of the vendors that I wouldn't be back until I had a new canopy to give me some shade. Northern Tool had them on sale -- a 10' x 10' with blue canopy -- for $69.00, and that is what I bought. It should come some time this week. With luck I'll be back at the farmers market on Saturday.

Well, that's it for now. I'll try to take some new pictures of the fall colors for you before they're gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment