Thursday, August 07, 2008

Motivation Lack

You know, there are just some days when you can't get moving. I fully intended to spend most of the day out in the field, but I just couldn't decide on which of my many tasks to work at and wound up housecleaning and sweeping out the garage. And guess what? When I went to pick up a pile of feed sacks to store inside one larger sack, know what I grabbed? Yep. A snake. I thought I was going to have a heart attack except that when I stopped shrieking and hopping around and took a good look at the snake, it looked more afraid than I was. Fortunately, it was a small and completely harmless green snake; the kind you rather want around your place. But the fact it was in the garage made me all the surer that everything in the garage needs to be properly stored in closed containers and off the floor.

I checked on the berries and was, for the most part, disappointed. I was able to pick a full pint of raspberries, but there are no currants or gooseberries. I really thought I would get some good gooseberries this year, too, because when I checked the bushes a couple of weeks ago, they were loaded with berries. I can only think that either the birds or the bear got them. Speaking of the bear, he sure made a mess in my berry area. It looks like he shoveled whole areas clear with his paws. Anyway, I think I'd better plan on strengthening the berry perimeter fence and getting some bird netting.

It was very cool today and obvious that we are losing daylight. I need to get myself motivated to finish the work that needs to be done before the ground is too hard to work. Think I'll stop by the feed store and get some oats and maybe rye for cover crops.

I received my book order from Back40books.com today. What prompt service! I bought Storey's Guide to Raising Pigs, Beekeeping a Practical Guide, Anyone Can Build a Tub-Style Mechanical Chicken Plucker, Natural Baskets, and Free Range Poultry Production and Marketing -- that's a video tape by Herb Chenoweth and is half of a 2-set production. I bought the tape because I wanted to see his small scale butchering set-up. I would say the tape was worth the cost. I can't wait to read the other books.

Well, I better go for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment