Friday, August 29, 2008

Farmers Market Tomorrow

It was a gorgeous day again today. We had gentle rain for the last two nights and the garden boxes are looking fine. I checked the cabbages and collards in the field, and only one cabbage so far was good enough to pick for the market. There may be one or two others good enough to sell but most are pretty badly bug eaten. The collards are looking dry, but I think they will revive once the weather gets a bit cooler. I will save cutting them for the Pamida Festival on September 13th. There were a few tomatoes ready to pick. Unfortunately, I don't know what happened to my identification stakes, so I will have to sell them as mixed heirlooms. I picked my first piece of okra today! I hope I can keep the plants alive long enough to get a good harvest again this year. I have covered most everything in the high tunnel with Agribon as a double protection against the cold and so far it seems to be working. The nights are getting pretty cool. I know there aren't many more warm days to work. I am still thinking about digging the potatoes before the 4th. I know that the Red Chief are ready to dig because the vines have died down.

Tomorrow I will be at the Phillips Farmers Market. I will have French Breakfast radishes, baby Pak Choy, baby Forellynschuss lettuce, Bulls Blood Beet greens, Detroit Red beets, curly leaf parsley, spearmint, onions (cured only one week so you will need to use them quickly, and they are not as big as they were last year so I would either can them or use them in soup, a salad, or a stew), one pint basket of heirloom tomatoes (turning red but not quite ripe so you don't have to eat them right away) and one small Copenhagen Market Cabbage. Maybe I'll see you there!

Our Sarah is now overseas with the 783rd MPBN. Please keep her in your prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment